Community & Environment around Ningaloo Reef Marine Park
Growing international recognition of the Ningaloo Reef Marine Park’s outstanding and unique natural attributes is further enhanced by the UNESCO’s decision to give the Ningaloo Coast “World Heritage” status in June 2011. ‘Sail Ningaloo Pty Ltd’ believes it is a special privilege that we are able to operate within the Ningaloo Reef Marine Park. Our aim at all times is to manage our business as an ecological tourism provider. Operating in such a delicate environment we observe minimum impact practices and careful waste management to ensure this fragile environment is preserved for the future. We don’t just talk about it, on a personal level all of us here at ‘Sail Ningaloo’ have been involved in local Coral Bay community services and environmental monitoring programs.
Sail Ningaloo achieved Advanced Eco Tourism certification in 2010 and has maintained that standard to the present. Achieving Advanced Eco Tourism certification is a demonstration of Sail Ningaloo’s commitment to continuous improvement in environmental and climate change action. The ECO Tourism Certification logo is a globally recognized brand which assists travellers to choose and experience a genuine and authentic tour, attraction, cruise or accommodation that is environmentally, socially and economically sustainable. The ECO Certification program assures travellers that certified products are backed by a strong, well managed commitment to sustainable practices and provides high quality nature-based tourism experiences. Want to find out more about Eco Tourism certification? Visit Eco Tourism Australia’s website.
Climate change is the result of changes in our weather patterns because of an increase in the Earth’s average temperature. This is caused by increases in greenhouse gases in the Earth’s atmosphere from human activity such as burning of fossil fuels and deforestation. These gases soak up heat from the sun but instead of the heat leaving the Earth’s atmosphere, some of it is trapped, making the Earth warmer.
Just some of Sail Ningaloo’s Actions to Reduce Greenhouse Gas Emissions:
- We minimise waste, reuse items and recycle whenever possible and we compost our food scraps
- We use environmentally friendly bathroom and cleaning products
- We measure and track our carbon footprint regularly using the GBRMPA emissions calculator.
- Our engines are serviced regularly to maintain optimum fuel efficiency and our outboard vessels utilise 4 stroke.
- Sail Ningaloo has been an Advanced Eco Certified business since 2010 and achieved Climate Action Business certification in May 2012. All of our tours have minimal impact on the environment.
- We have installed solar panels and a wind turbine on board our vessel, Shore Thing, to reduce our consumption of diesel for power usage.
Climate Change Action at home and whilst travelling
- Everyone around the world can reduce their total emissions each year. There are hundreds of different ways we can do this by introducing environmental practices into our everyday life such as using energy saving appliances, low energy bulbs, reduction of waste and litter and the use of environmentally friendly detergents.
- When travelling we encourage our guests to ensure these practices are maintained away from home and use local energy and water efficiently. Check soaps or detergents are biodegradable. Never litter and recycle where you can. You can choose to measure and offset travel emissions through organisations such as Climate Friendly who provide emissions calculators for a range of activities and contribute to the growth of the renewable energy industry.
- While travelling we encourage our guests to choose to support tour operators who have achieved the Ecotourism and Climate Action certification logo. Ecotourism Australia Certification allows travellers to Australia to identify and support operators who meet the benchmark and so ensure tourism products have minimal impact to the environment.
To calculate and offset your own personal footprint visit Climate Friendly.com
Want to learn more about the Ningaloo Reef?
Do you share our passion for the marine environment?
Want to combine your holiday with a little education?
Sail Ningaloo has worked closely with Marine Biologist and Environmental Educator Kirsty Nash to provide you with a customised interpretation program of the Ningaloo Reef so you can better appreciate the environment we are visiting.